AVG Digital Playground: Internet Safety for Six to Nine-Year-Olds
AVG’s Digital Diaries campaign has been an ongoing survey of thousands of parents from all over the world about the role of the Internet and technology in the upbringing of their child. The latest phase looks at the six to nine year old age group and their engagement with what we’ve named the “Digital Playground”. It looks at how children at this age start to use the Internet as a functional social tool and how it’s changing the way our children develop social relationships.
AVG has been collaborating with “Nurse” Rona Renner from the Californian radio show Childhood Matters and family expert Jason Brand, LCSW, on a series of podcasts focused on children, technology, and safety. Five “Digital Playground” podcasts are now available.
- Episode One – Rona and Jason discuss AVG’s Digital Playground research and reflect on the significance of various revelations.
- Episode Two – Looks at the various activities that children aged six to nine engage with online and the role of a parent in learning and understanding what is suitable and constructive for their kids. Proactivity is key to staying in touch with what your children want from the internet and will allow you make sure they’re safe as they do it.
- Episode Three – Looks at communications guidelines for children aged six to nine. Communication is key to protecting your children online both in terms of what type of communication is suitable for your child online but more importantly the way you as a parent communicate with your child about their online activity. It’s important that parents actively engage with their kids and learn what it is they’re looking to get out the internet.
- Episode Four – Looks at the role of parental control software and family safety products in keeping your children safe online. It is important to understand that there is no hard and fast rule as to what is suitable for every child. Children grow and develop at their own rate and it’s important to factor this in when deciding about the restrictions you place on their online activity.
- Episode Five – An in depth interview with Tony Anscombe, AVG’s ambassador for free products about all the subjects covered so far in the podcast series. Listen in to hear Tony’s views on parental control software and the importance of talking to and learning from your kids about their online activity.